- MPLAB? X IDE
- MPLAB Xpress
- MPLAB X IDE Debug Features by Device
- MPLAB? XC Compilers
- MPLAB? Integrated Programming Environment (IPE)
- Emulation Extension Paks
- Emulator and Debugger Accessories
- Embedded Software Center
- MPLAB Code Configurator
- MPLAB Harmony
- Microchip Libraries for Applications
- Code Examples
- MPLAB Xpress MCHP
- CAD/CAE Symbols
- SPICE Models
- MPLAB Mindi Analog Simulator
- Analog Simulation Files
- Other Software Libraries
- SAM & AVR Supported Tools
- MPLAB? Device Blocks for Simulink?
- Development Boards and Tools
MPLAB® X Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
MPLAB® X Integrated Development Environment (IDE) is an expandable, highly configurable software program that incorporates powerful tools to help you discover, configure, develop, debug and qualify embedded designs for most of Microchip’s microcontrollers and digital signal controllers. MPLAB X IDE works seamlessly with the MPLAB development ecosystem of software and tools, many of which are completely free.
MPLAB X IDE brings a host of features to help you quickly debug your projects and minimize your development time. Some newer features include:
- Data Visualizer: No need to purchase extra visualizations tools since real-time streaming data can be viewed in Data Visualizer
- I/O View: Pin states can be verified and manipulated with I/O View for fast hardware verification
- Helpful Design Resources: Save time with useful links to software libraries, datasheets and user guides that are provided automatically
- Easy to Use: Register and bit definitions are now just a click away
Develop Fast Prototypes with Microchip's Powerful, Easy-to-Use Ecosystem
- Get your code off to a head start with MPLAB Code Configurator
- Graphically configure peripherals and software libraries with MPLAB Harmony (32-bit PIC® MCUs and SAM MCUs and MPUs only)
- Download a free MPLAB XC Compiler, or unlock the full potential of code size savings and code execution speed with PRO licenses
- Take advantage of MPLAB X IDE’s support for the open-source AVR® and SAM GCC compilers
- Select the best debugger for your project:
- MPLAB ICD 4 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer is our full-featured, most robust debugger (does not support AVR devices at this time)
- MPLAB PICkit™ 4 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer is fast and our most popular debugger and programmer
- MPLAB Snap In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer is our most affordable debugger
Our 32-bit MPUs are now supported by MPLAB X IDE, MPLAB XC32 Compiler, MPLAB Harmony v3 and our latest debuggers. Learn more on our 32-bit MPUs product page.
All of Microchip’s tools can run on Windows®, macOS®, and Linux® operating systems for maximum workstation flexibility. To view a complete listing of supported products, see the MPLAB X IDE Device Support List found in the documentation tab below.
Looking for an Easy Way to Get Started with MPLAB X IDE? Meet the Cloud-Based MPLAB Xpress IDE
Now supporting AVR MCUs along with PIC MCUs and dsPIC DSCs, the award-winning MPLAB Development Environment is more portable than ever. Simply navigate to mplabxpress.microchip.com from any compatible Internet browser and enjoy the streamlined MPLAB Xpress IDE without any downloads or installation.
MPLAB Code Coverage
Measure how well your code is tested using MPLAB Code Coverage. This licensed feature is available in all MPLAB XC Compilers and is fully integrated into MPLAB X IDE to provide analytical and navigational tools, dashboards, summaries and reports.
Java® Platform and Operating System Direction
In order to align with industry standards and to continue to provide you the best experience when using MPLAB X IDE, we will be making the following changes to the IDE:
- A license-free version of Java will be distributed with MPLAB X IDE starting in version 5.40
- MPLAB X IDE versions up to and including 5.35 will use the last free JRE version 8 from Oracle®
No Oracle JRE license will be required to use any version of MPLAB X IDE
- Operating system support for Windows, Mac OS and Linux will move to 64-bit only starting with MPLAB X IDE version 5.40
- Product support releases will be delivered independently from MPLAB X IDE starting in version 5.30 by moving to a Device Family Pack (DFP) system
- A DFP can be applied to MPLAB X IDE version 5.30 or 5.35 to extend the life of the IDE for 32-bit operating systems
- Not all new devices added by a Device File Pack are guaranteed to work in these versions of the IDE
Important Note for macOS® Users: The latest version of macOS, 10.15 Catalina, removes support for 32-bit applications. This means that current versions of MPLAB X IDE (up to version 5.40) will not run on this operating system without a patch. All current versions of MPLAB XC compilers are now compatible with this latest version of macOS.